Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sweet Treat: Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with mocha buttercream frosting




I have a love - hate relationship with coffee.
I love it when I wanted to experience the bitterness and sweetness that it brings.  I often consumed my coffee with dessert or sometimes, I just drink it alone. 
Now, here comes the hate part.
I hate coffee because every time I drink it, I always had an upset stomach.  I don't know why but well, I just forget the discomfort that it brings me, I would still drink coffee.
Good thing, I made some experimenting during my baking session.  I made these dark chocolate coffee cupcakes and topped it with mocha buttercream frosting.


Recipe for the Chocolate coffee cupcakes

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup coffee granules
1/2 cup hot water
1//4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
 1/2 cup chocolate chip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Beat softened butter, add the sugar and mix.  Combine the egg and mix until fluffy.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.  Mix all the dry ingredients then mix with the butter mixture.  Put the hot water in another bowl then dilute the coffee granules.  Once diluted, mix with the batter together with the milk and put the chocolate chips.

Serves 12 3oz. size cupcakes

For the mocha frosting.

1 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup coffee granules

Beat the softened butter, add the powdered sugar.  Mix the water and coffee then add to butter and powdered sugar.  If the buttercream icing is still dry, add some teaspoon of milk.

Yummy treats that made my day complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment