Friday, February 25, 2011

Event: 25th Year Anniversary of People Power EDSA Revolution

I don’t have knowledge about the coup that happened last 1986 which started the popular People Power Revolution.  I was seven years old and was in first grade when it happened and don’t know what was going on around me.  I don’t have the knowledge about Martial law and coup d’ etat, too.  All I can remember, there were lots of helicopters on air, the people that was beginning to build up in EDSA and my parents told me to stay indoors because of what might happen outside.  I don’t have much to do since the classes were suspended.  I was frustrated then because my favorite cartoon show on tv was replaced by news all day.  I remembered seeing tanks on the streets, lots of army people wearing camouflage and nuns walking hand in hand holding rosaries.   I don’t know the meaning of what was happening back then.


Twenty five years later, I am watching the news and saw lots of people in EDSA.  But this time, to celebrate the successful People Power Revolution for its twenty fifth year anniversary.  This time, the tanks are for reenactment of what was happened in 1986.  Lots of people are wearing yellow which is the themed color of the event, lots of people reminisce what took place.  Familiar faces attended the grand affair and even the kids that were born after the revolution are also present to participate.  This time, the people are not fighting for democracy but celebrating the freedom that they got after risking their lives in front of the tanks and army people.  

I was seven years old then and now, I already have two kids.  The true meaning of EDSA Revolution is clear with me now.  I understand how we got our independence and the people who were willing to risk their lives just to end the regime of the dictator.   EDSA Revolution gave new hope for the Filipino people.  It was twenty five years ago but the celebration that is happening right now in EDSA keeps the memory of the peaceful revolution alive.  

 

Every year, celebration has been done to commemorate the People Power.  And every year, I keep on seeing the faces that they said made the peaceful revolution possible.  But for me the unsung heroes of the revolution were those cigarette vendors, the nuns whose only arsenal was rosary, the journalists and other ordinary people who made extra ordinary efforts.

* Photos taken from google images

No comments:

Post a Comment